Breaking News
Loading...
Saturday 25 June 2011

Info Post
Everything is vintage!
I'm very excited to post these pictures! These were taken near one of my friend's houses, by an old abandoned barn. To keep alive the old-fashioned American feel of the surroundings, I went for a prairie-inspired look: a little bit of civilized primness melded with practicality and hints of adventure. In putting together this ensemble, I began to create a loose character sketch. Each item of clothing represents an aspect of this imaginary girl's life. The billowy white blouse sets the stage for a hot blazing day (as does the shady brimmed  hat); the long skirt demonstrates the feminine regard towards women during the American pioneer age; the exotic turquoise jewelry and woven belt show a peaceful trading commerce with the local Native American tribe. 
Whist conducting this shoot, I marveled at the hidden splendor of this crumbling building. I've always been fascinated by abandoned architecture. There's something mysterious and thrilling and often magical about a place that's been left for dead (that's what abandoned basically is, isn't it?). Your mind becomes peppered with innumerable questions: Who lived here last? What did they do? Why did they leave?
Similarly, I often find myself asking if not the exact same questions when contemplating a piece of vintage clothing. One can't help but wonder the long trailing story behind the garment they hold in their hand today.
Mwah! Mwah!
~Hope Adela

0 comments:

Post a Comment