Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday 22 September 2010

Info Post
 

                            Vintage dress, belt, gloves, jewelry, and bow. Thrifted shoes.
I.AM. BACK.

For reasons which I will not disclose on this blog, my parents decided that I “needed” a half-year break from fashion (which included a break from this blog), which explains my lengthy hiatus from Blogland.
I’m not going to lie and say that overall this six month-long “grounding” from fashion has turned out to be a huge blessing in disguise, but I do admit that this period of time has helped to refresh my personal style. During these past six months, instead of assuming the active role of fashion blogger, I was able to sit back and act as an audience of fashion. I’ve explored and discovered so many different fashion blogs and have really come to appreciate and admire a wider variety of styles. Now that I’m back in the fashion world, my goal is to try out a new style of clothing or to sport a different way to wear a classic item each week. I’m also going to try to keep up with my blogging more frequently and post once or twice a week---no more of those bi-monthly posts!
On a closing note, I’d like to ramble on a little bit about this photo shoot. This was taken back in March, before my fashion ban. As you can tell, these pictures were obviously inspired by Alice in Wonderland. I thought the classical Victorian romance of the outfit would go well with the historical downtown buildings in my hometown, so one lovely afternoon, my sister and I set off for a quick photo shoot before choir practice.
My aunt gave the blue dress, which is vintage Laura Ashley. I love the interesting v-shaped back and the luxurious gathering around the sleeves. I thought that the bright fuscia hair bow (purchased at the Time Bomb) would offset the muted tones of the dress. The brown wedge mary-jane shoes were a yardsale find last year, and the belt was a hand-me-down from my mom. I bought the glass drop earrings at a thriftstore in California in the summer of ’09, and the dog pocket watch shortly after at a yard sale. The black fishnet mitts were given to me by a friend from my parent’s church.
Just a few quick life updates before I go! I graduated from highschool this past spring (let’s hear it for being homeschooled K-12!), and am doing my first year of college online. During highschool, I accumulated enough college credit to skip my first year of college, so after I finish up this year online, I’ll be going residential for two years, and then I’m done! (Considering the fact that I started kindergarten a year early, I’ll only be twenty when I graduate. Yikes!) My major in college is English, and I’m taking a minor in Fashion Merchandising. Career-wise, I am looking towards fashion journalism or writing, but I’d also like to pursue vintage pin-up modeling and costume design on the side, AND continue blogging.
I’ve got to run and do some fashion-related “catching-up” today, but I will respond to each and every one of your lovely comments on my last post as soon as possible!
And here’s a little feature that I thought might be interesting to include on my posts, a “Question of the Day”. I always like it when there’s an interactive and conversational vibe to fashion blogs.
Question of the Day: What was the most memorable fashion moment that happened to you these past six months?
Mine was senior prom. Despite my fashion ban, my parents let me dress how I wanted for prom. I wore this gorgeous red silk vintage Gunne Sax gown with black silk gloves, vintage rhinestone jewelry and a self-made retro hair fascinator. Prom was an event that I had been looking forward to my whole life, so it was a very special and magical night. Stepping into the banquet hall felt like something out of a faerie tale. The noticeable difference between my outfit and the attire of the rest of the prom beauties made me feel like Cinderella at the ball. (My date even said that my outfit reminded him of the Disney Cinderella! I think this was because of the similar 1950’s dress silhouette and long gloves.) I may post a few pictures of prom later on, but they aren’t really ‘blog-worthy’ if you know what I mean; just straight-on shots, not particularly artistic, although the photo-quality is excellent. My then-boyfriend’s dad and my younger sister were taking pictures simultaneously, and I felt weird asking my sister to do an avant-garde photo shoot with him standing right there. I may re-create my prom outfit and for a dramatic photo shoot sometime in the future. I’ll keep you updated!
Mwah! Mwah!
~Hope Adela (Keeping in mind the possible career-related opportunities attained through fashion blogging, I thought I should go by a more realistic version of my name. My real name is Hope Adel, but I’ve always preferred Adela, so I thought this was a good compromise.)

EDIT: Please vote for me in this Talbot's denim contest! Simply click on this link, then click the "like" button next to the "vote for Hope" widget. Thank you; I really appreciate your support! http://redchairconfessions.com/denim-contest/denim-contest-fabulous-florida-mommy-hope/

0 comments:

Post a Comment